When it comes to show how much we care to the our environment, including to other living creatures, we commend you for making it a point to choose cruelty-free cosmetics! There are so many great makeup brands out there that make it a point to end animal testing. So if you’re not sure which brands of mascara to trust or how to verify their claim to being the best cruelty-free mascara, our guide below will help you.
Those of you searching for the best cruelty-free mascara have hit the jackpot! We’ll highlight both affordable and high-end options in our table below, so scroll down to see which ones made the cut.
How to Find out if Cosmetic Companies are Cruelty-Free
If you’re unsure whether or not a cosmetic product is cruelty-free, here are a few places that you can look to verify:
- PETA Website. We use the PETA website to verify a few of the brands on our list below. You can search by company and PETA will search its archives to provide you with a definite “yes” or “no” answer.
- Manufacturer’s FAQ Section. This is yet another place we were able to check. Usually one of the most frequently asked questions to a Cosmetics manufacturer is whether or not they are cruelty-free.
Look for the Official Logo
Some brands will also feature the official cruelty-free logo on their website’s homepage.
It’s important for you to watch out for fake logos. However, as there are only three that you can actually trust:
From Left to Right: PETA, Leaping Bunny (CCIC & BUAV), and Choose Cruelty-Free
If you do not see these logos on the manufacturer’s website yet they still claim to be cruelty-free, just double check on any of the three official websites of these logos to find out for sure.
We did our research on the brands in our table and wanted to present you with the results:
- Ecco Bella: We verified on the PETA website that this is a cruelty-free company.
- NYX Cosmetics: We checked the FAQ section of their website to verify that they are cruelty-free. Even better, PETA’s website also verified this for us.
- BWC: BWC stands for “Beauty Without Cruelty.” Their name obviously says it all, and they have the Leaping Bunny logo on their website.
- Tarte Cosmetics: Tarte has the PETA bunny on its homepage along with a few other certifications that make them an excellent makeup brand to purchase from.
- Too Faced Cosmetics: Too Faced has a big, bold bunny on its homepage to show that they are cruelty-free brand.
- bareMinerals: Last, but not least, we have bareMinerals. We have verified that they are cruelty-free on the PETA website.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty: Marc Jacobs Beauty also stands for cruelty-free products. It has been listed in PETA as a company that does not test on animals.
- CoverGirl: CoverGirl also has a leaping bunny logo on its products to guarantee and confirm its cruelty-free policy.
- Hourglass Cosmetics: Hourglass is committed to producing cruelty-free makeup products and is now progressing to go vegan.
- Urban Decay: Urban Decay has declared not to test its products on animals and also guarantees its supplier to do so, too.
- Essence: As a vegan makeup brand, Essence does not test their products on animals nor use any animal-derived ingredients.
- Lily Lolo: Besides being a cruelty-free brand, Lily Lolo also has around 90% vegan products with no parabens, perfumes, and dyes used on all its makeup products.
- Thrive Causemetics: Thrive Causemetics has confirmed that the company does not test their makeup products on animals, nor ask a third party on their behalf.
- 100% Pure: The brand holds its value to providing cruelty-free products and assure that no ingredients are tested on animals.
- Blinc: Blinc’s motto is to provide cruelty-free and vegan products to its customers and it has also been listed on PETA.
Best Cruelty-Free Mascara
Now let’s take a look at the best cruelty-free mascara choices on our list!
This is an excellent natural mascara that works very well on sensitive eyes. It is vegan, gluten-free, fragrance-free, and paraben-free! Plus, it is available in black and brown. In terms of wearing power, this mascara features is a formula that doesn’t flake and will definitely long lasting. But remember! It is a water-resistant, not waterproof.
Blue, you say? Yes, and a few other fun colors, too! This unique mascara from NYX will add volume, length, and also colors to your lashes in just one simple swipe. It’s quite popular for creating the “ombre effect”, where you apply colored mascara to only the tips of your lashes to create a unique and fun look.
Those who need some volume will be able to get it with Beauty Without Cruelty’s Full Volume Mascara. This is a vegan product that does not contain fragrances or parabens. It offers you a naturally full look without the clumping, and it goes on smooth, lengthens your lashes, and it doesn’t seem to give anyone flaking issues.
Look spot on with this Tarte mascara! It offers you not only voluminous effect, but also long and curly lashes that stay put for 24 hours despite not being a waterproof product. The smudge-proof and flake-free wear formula will leave you with no raccoon eyes while the olive esters ingredient will condition the lashes.
The hourglass brush is probably what you may notice from this gorgeous Too Faced mascara, right? Well it is shaped the way it does because it helps to elevate your lashes, giving them the volume you’ve always dreamt of! Its extra stiff bristle will dramatically curl your straight lashes. Moreover, it will also meticulously coat them with intense black ink, which will beautifully create a bold statement.
Building up the volume in a quick swipe? No worries! This Phyto-Fiber Volumizing Mascara by bareMinerals will grant your wish. Its orange peel fibers formula will instantly maximize the volume of your lashes, making them a center point in your face. Not to mention the micro-algae complex that delivers a 250% thicker, healthier lashes look.
Those who are willing to spend more for better-looking lashes, might want to try this Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara from Marc Jacobs! It offers you an intense black color with a fluffy brush, which will let you get the voluminous, fuller-looking resembling false lashes, instantly. The mini size will also satisfy you, just in case you need to have an on-the-go mascara.
This is the ultimate pick for an affordable and cruelty-free brand that won’t break the bank! With its fiber-stretch formula, it is able to improve your lashes’ volume and length by up to 200%. And as the name suggests, you’ll notice that there will be no clump while applying and wearing this product, thanks to its curvy straight-bristle brush.
Though it is a bit pricey, it is definitely worth your money! This hourglass extreme lash mascara is both vegan and cruelty-free product that will definitely gives you a full, long, and dramatic lashes look without smudge or flake. Moreover, it also features a 4DAmplifier brush to the lashes from root to tip with rich formula in a single swipe.
Let this Urban Decay volumizing mascara plays its role on your face! It makes your lashes stand out with its creamy and rich formula. Plus, it will also help to volumize, lengthen, and thickening the eyelashes, too! In addition, the honey extract, hairdensyl, and marine collagen ingredients will also keep your lashes well-nourished and stimulate their growth at the same time.
Instead of spending too much money on eyelash extension, you can buy this Essence mascara for only $5, instead! It gives you a false lash effect with a long, full and dramatic volume of the lashes, thanks to its iconic fiber brush. This product is also safe for sensitive eyes as it doesn’t include parabens, fragrances, oils, and alcohol to its ingredients.
Calling for those with sensitive eyes out there! Here, we got another awesome and cruelty-free mascara that you can add to your basket! Lily Lolo blesses us with it’s natural vegan mascara that is silicon, alcohol, and fragrance-free. Despite being a natural product, it does give help volumize and lengthen your lashes to get a more defined look.
Wanna have a lash-extension look but are too busy to go? Then you better check out this vegan liquid lash mascara! Supported with flake-free tubing technology and stem cell complex, it is the best cruelty-free mascara to have long and false-looking lashes that won’t clump, flake, or even smudge, creating a dramatic final look.
Say no more to short lashes! This mascara will let you immediately have long, lush, and healthy lashes by applying this mascara to your lashes, thanks to pro-vitamin B5, vitamin E, and wheat protein formula. With all these natural ingredients, this smudge-proof mascara guarantees its safe wearing for sensitive eyes.
While other water-resistant and smudge-proof mascaras are difficult to remove, blinc original tubing mascara easily wipes off with warm water. Officially, it makes this product the best cruelty-free mascara for sensitive eyes. It comes with freshly invented tube technology that can hold your pretty, natural-looking lashes free of smudge and flake all day.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What Mascara Can I Use if I am Allergic?
Allergic to mascara can be very annoying since it makes your eyes get dry and itchy, not to mention the swollen redness areas around the eyes, plus a rash. Ugh!
If you happen to be allergic to mascara, it’s better for you to choose the one with hypoallergenic ingredients, which will be suitable for sensitive eyes.
There are two mascara brands in our the best cruelty-free mascara collection that are also hypoallergenic, namely Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara, and Thrive Causemetics Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara.
What Ingredient in Mascara can Cause Allergic Reactions?
There are some indicated ingredients that may trigger allergic reactions, including dyes, fragrances, preservatives, oils, waxes, and lanolin.
Several allergic reaction reports focus on specific ingredients, such as paraben esters, quartenium-22, shellac, colophony, p-phenylenediamine, yellow carnauba wax, coathylene, black and yellow iron oxides, and nickel.
What Makeup Brands are Hypoallergenic?
Makeup brands compete to steal their customers’ interest by offering vegan, cruelty-free, and hypoallergenic products.
Some examples of the best brands that provide a selection of hypoallergenic products, including hypoallergenic mascaras are Tarte, bareMinerals, Clinique, Colorscience, Tower 28 Beauty, Dermablend, Jane Irelade, and Wander Beauty.