If you are trying to steer clear from raccoon-like eyes that come from smudged mascara then you should consider buying waterproof mascara. Be careful though as not all ‘waterproof’ mascara can stand up to the tests of water. You might buy washable mascara thinking that it is waterproof mascara. Ideally, you want to buy good quality mascara that doesn’t smudge, get clumpy or run down when the waterworks come.
If you love long lashes then you want to buy mascara that has lengthening features with a capability to separate the eyelashes so that you don’t end up with lashes that are clumped together.
This guide will help you find the best waterproof mascara.
Things to Consider
- Use Primer. If you want to enjoy no-fail lashes then you should seriously consider using primer. Not only does primer help protect you from the harsh and drying effects that come with frequent use of waterproof formulas but it also helps with adding length and volume to your lashes.
- Caring for Sensitive Eyes. If you have sensitive eyes then you should check to ensure that the mascara you are about to buy is labeled hypoallergenic. If you wear contact lens however, you should pay special attention to mascara you intend to buy because you don’t want to cause irritation or lens damage with the wrong product.
- What Effect Are You Looking For? There are a number of things to consider when buying waterproof mascara. You need to consider your eyelashes for example. Are they thick or scarce? If you have scarce eyelashes then you need to look for mascara that adds volume so that you end up with the effect of luscious eyelashes. On the other hand if you have thick lashes then you should skip mascara adds volume and go for one the adds length or curls your lashes.
- Should You Buy Any Shade of Waterproof Mascara? Generally speaking, when buying mascara, you should aim for one that compliments your hair color. This is because there are different shades of mascara on the market. If you have light-colored hair then you should go for brown or lighter shades of mascara. If you have dark-colored hair on the other hand then you should go for black or blue mascara.
Top 10 Waterproof Mascaras Comparison Chart
|1. Simply Best 3d Fiber Lash Mascara||Yes||$$$||4.6|
|2. Endlessly Beautiful Natural Organic||Not specified||$||4.6|
|3. MIA ADORA 3D Fiber Lash||Yes||$$$$||4.4|
|4. Maybelline New York Lash Sensational||Not specified||$$||4.4|
|5. Maybelline New York Full 'N Soft||No||$$||4.3|
|6. Mystere Cosmetics Best Ultimate Volume||Not specified||$$$||4.2|
|7. L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Original||Not specified||$||4.1|
|8. Covergirl Clump Crusher||Not specified||$||4.0|
|9. NYX Doll Eye||Not specified||$$||3.6|
|10. MIA ADORA Bold Lash Effect||Yes||$$||3.6|
Helpful Information Before You Buy
- Water Proof or Smudge Proof? Waterproof mascara is resistant to water and tears while smudge proof mascara is great or those that have oily eye areas or sweat a lot. Smudge proof mascara should be used in places with high humidity levels or by people with oily skin or eyelashes that get greasy easily.
- Conventional or Tubing Mascara. There are two main types of waterproof mascara: conventional and tubing. Conventional mascara uses waxes and fat-based emollients to coat the lashes. You will need oil-based makeup remover to remove such mascara. Tubing mascara on the other hand makes use of polymer technology to individually coat each lash with the help of a film of pigment that dries waterproof. Such mascara is great for protecting the lashes and skin since you don’t need to use drying makeup removers or rub the eye area.
- How Easy Should Applying Mascara Be? Unless you are a makeup artist or if have someone to apply the mascara on you then you should consider buying mascara that is easy to apply. The best waterproof mascara should come with a brush that is easy to work with. Go for short-stemmed brushes if you are a beginner in the mascara world.
If you have short lashes then you should consider buying mascara with short bristles to make for easy, mess-free application.
- How Long Should Mascara Last Once Applied? Much as most mascaras claim to be long-lasting, you need to take care while buying. You need to pay attention to the formulation so that you end up with long lasting mascara. For example, if you buy mascara that is water-soluble then you should not expect it to last for long compared to oil-based mascara.
- How Easy Should It Be to Remove the Mascara? Generally speaking, the more waterproof mascara is, the harder it is to wash off. As such you will need good quality makeup remover to remove such mascara. If you want to easily remove your mascara then you should go for water-soluble mascara.
- Should You Consider the Wand Style? Mascara wands vary in thickness and bristle patterns. As such, you should consider your lashes and the impact you intend to achieve when buying mascara.
- Go for a straight wand if you wish to reach small lashes in the corner of your eye.
- Go for curved wands if you wish to coat as many lashes as possible in one go or if you wish to follow the shape of the lash line.
- Wands with a ball tip come will a small ball of long bristles that are great for reaching small and hidden lashes.
- Wands with corkscrew features are great for layering the product while at the same time reaching every lash.
- Thick brushes are great for adding volume.
- Brushes with precision tips are great for reaching corners as well as other difficult spots.
- Should You Care About Ingredients? When buying mascara, much like any product, you need to carefully check the ingredients. This way, you don’t buy a product that has an ingredient that you are allergic to! Basic mascara components regardless of whether it is waterproof or not include a mix of oils, waxes and pigmentations. Common oils used include eucalyptus oil, linseed oil, mineral oils, castor oil, lanolin as well as sesame oil. Common waxes used include beeswax, carnauba wax as well as paraffin wax.
Top 5 Best Waterproof Mascara Reviews
The SIMPLY Naked Beauty LASH science mascara is one of the best waterproof mascaras on the market. It is not only waterproof but smudge proof as well which means no raccoon eyes for you. It comes in a beautiful case comprising of two tubes. One tube is of gel and is on the dry side while the other tube is gel and is on the wet side. The brush that is included will help smooth your lashes leaving them beautiful. If you have sensitive skin or eyes then you will love the fact this product will work just fine for you!
It doesn’t matter if you want longer lashes, thicker ones or have no lashes but wish to have some, the SIMPLY Lash science mascara will take care of those problems for you. The liquid is dark and thick which makes lengthening and adding volume to your lashes a breeze. And to make matters better, application is hassle-free.
As a tip, if you don’t want falling flakes then you should avoid applying too much mascara. You should also remember to properly seal it up with the gel if you want a long-lasting finish! At the end of the day when you want to remove it, simply use warm water or eye make-up remover.
The Endless Beautiful Natural Mascara is made with 100% natural and 85% organic ingredients. This is a wonderful addition to the makeup kit for that woman who loves long-lasting mascara that is easy to apply and remove. It doesn’t clump, flake or smudge which is great news for the woman seeking perfection.
The Endless Beautiful Natural Organic mascara comes with no preservatives, artificial colors or fragrances which make it great for sensitive eyes and skin. If you love long lashes then you will appreciate some of the ingredients used in this mascara. Nourishing ingredients such as cinnamon, coffee powder, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano are used to help condition and stimulate lash growth. The ingredients also contribute to the wonderful smell it gives off when applied.
With the Endless Beautiful Natural Organic mascara; you can say goodbye to dry itchy eyes or flaking mascara and hello to beautiful luscious lashes!
The 3D Fiber Lash mascara by Mia Adora is a great addition for the woman that fears raccoon eyes. This mascara is not only waterproof but smudge-proof as well. You will get two tubes when you purchase this mascara: one tube of dry micro fiber and one tube of wet magnifying mascara gel packed in a beautiful recyclable carrying case.
If you are looking for a full and long dramatic look then you will love applying the fibers on your lashes. Be sure to apply the micro fibers as quickly as possible after applying the magnifying gel if you don’t want to end up with dry gel and fibers that won’t stick. Application is easy and it is a great alternative to false eye lashes as you get to enjoy longer-looking lashes minus having to deal with glue used to add false lashes.
This mascara lasts the entire day when applied right and sealed correctly. It washes off easily when soaked in warm water.
Maybelline does come up with some really great products and this waterproof mascara is no different which is why it makes it to the top 5. With the Maybelline New York Lash sensational mascara you get to enjoy using the patented fanning brush. With the patented brush, you get about 10 layers of bristles that aid in giving you a full fan effect. The liquid formula used coats from all sides which makes creating the dramatic fan effect a breeze.
The brush is perfect for separating lashes while coating them evenly and making them longer. This makes it especially great for the girl or woman that has thin lashes but wishes to have long, fuller ones. It may not be so easy to get off with simply warm water but that is what you can expect from long-lasting waterproof mascara.
If you are looking for full, soft and thick lashes then you should look no further than Maybelline New York Full ‘N Soft waterproof mascara. This mascara is also great for people have sensitive skin or eyes as well as those that wear contact lens. You can forget about globs or clumps when you use this mascara- that is unless you go beyond the recommended two coat application as a maximum! You can also forget about getting raccoon eyes because this mascara doesn’t run, smear or smudge.
It is fairly easy to remove especially when you use an oil based cleanser as opposed to a water-based one. The smell may not be so great but the effect you get after application will soon have you forgetting it!