Some of you may be wondering why you should use clear mascara in the first place. What’s the point of using a makeup product that comes out clear?
But, if you ever go on a run during a hot summer day or go for a lunch break and then return to your desk with smudges all over your eyes, the chances are that you already know why clear mascara comes in handy.
Clear mascara allows you to curl your lashes naturally, without the dark creases or fallout crumbs that dark mascaras leave.
So, how should you choose one, and what options do you have?
Our guide will help you find the best clear mascara and provide you with helpful shopping tips to clear up (no pun intended!) any doubts you have about this type of product.
Clear Lash Products
You have a few options for clear mascara, which is why we listed this information for you.
- Mascara. As we mentioned before, a clear mascara (when used as a mascara only) is perfect when you want to avoid raccoon eyes or give your lashes a more natural look. It also acts as a styling gel for eyelashes; if you use an eyelash curler on your natural lashes, the chances are that they won’t hold a curl for very long. With a bit of help from a clear mascara, you can hold on to that curl for much longer, minus the mess!
- Serum. Some clear “mascaras” are serums formulated to help your lashes grow. They fit the bill since they are clear and go on your lashes, and many products work as both lash serum and lash enhancer: this product also allows you to style your lashes as you would with a clear mascara. If you prefer a natural look and want something that nourishes the lash hairs from within, try a serum to help them grow. Some clear mascaras double up as a brow gel, so you can get a multifunctional product in your beauty bag by getting a clear brow and lash mascara.
Use Clear Mascaras Instead of Eyelash Primers
Some of you may be tempted to use an eyelash primer as a mascara, but the problem is that primers usually go on white instead of clear.
Primers are designed to be used on thin, short lashes before regular colored mascara. It helps lengthen and thicken them, resulting in a fuller look once you apply your regular mascara.
Meanwhile, clear mascaras can be used before regular colored mascara or as a stand-alone.
Top 15 Best Clear Mascaras to Try
We’ve selected a list of the best clear mascaras for you to try. You can see the list down below and pick up the one that suits your needs the most.
A great clear mascara that comes at a good price. It makes your eyelashes appear longer and thicker and doesn’t clump up. It also comes off really easy at night. You have to wash some but not a whole lot of scrubbing. It is waterproof, holds the lash curl, and even works as a brow gel. It is worth trying even if you have long and straight lashes.
- Easy to remove
- Keep lashes curled all day long
- The wand is big and may not be very comfortable for some people
Comes in a big bottle, this clear mascara is definitely affordable. It contains small vitamin beads that will keep your lashes healthy and strong. It gives the lashes a healthy shine making your eyes look fresh and stay natural. It defines the lashes, helps them to stand up longer to give you beautiful natural looking lashes.
- Safe for sensitive eyes
- Contains vitamins
- Can be used as a nighttime treatment
- The vitamin beads often come out on the brush so you need to be careful not to get them into your eyes
A product that can tame both your lashes and mascara at an affordable price. As a brow gel, this product can hold on shape better and as a mascara, it can hold the curls longer. And because it is clear, it does not smudge so you don’t have to worry about raccoon eyes ever again. The gel formula glides on smoothly and applies easily. You can wear it as a stand alone or over your favorite mascara and brow products to lock them in.
- Paraben free
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t work well under powder product so you need to use it over brow products as a top coat
This conditioning clear mascara makes it easy to take control of your looks. Use it on both lashes and brows to prime, condition, groom, and tame, while providing a solid, yet lightweight hold. Very affordable for a product that can do it all that even includes real lustrous diamond dust for a subtle yet alluring finish.
- Extra breathable
- Suitable for sensitive eyes and skin
- It is buildable but can be flakey if you overdo it
This clear mascara provides a more defined and fresh looking lashes. It dries clear and does not flake. It is a little bit more expensive compared to the previous product, but this clear mascara from Zuzu Luxe is gently formulated so it is safe for sensitive eyes and even for those suffering from dry eye syndrome. It also works as brow gel and can keep your brows in place all day long.
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Paraben free
- It doesn’t thicken the eyelashes so don’t expect it to give you extra volume
By wearing this mascara, your lashes will appear thicker and longer. It holds up all day long even if you go on a long workout session. It also works well as an eyebrow gel. And it stays clear when it dries and not flaky. A great price point for a multipurpose product. On top of that, this product contains protein and biotin that nourish and strengthen your lashes.
- Hold on curls
- Add lash volume
- Sticky when first applied
CoverGirl’s Professional Natural Lash Mascara has a clear gel formula that comes with a curved brush to separate lashes while conditioning. It helps tame unruly brows too. Very affordable for a product that can do both. Very recommended for beginners who want to get their hands on clear mascara for the first time.
- Cruelty free
- Separate lashes and tame eyebrows
- The formula is a little bit thick and can feel heavy
With the help of the Wet N Wild Mega Clear Brow & Lash Mascara you will achieve a polished lash and brows in an instant. The gel formula is easy to apply and allows you to style your lashes and eyebrows quickly and effectively. Blended with Soy Protein and ProVitamin B5, this clear mascara helps to condition the brows and lashes while providing a strong and comfortable hold. Super affordable and worth trying.
- Cruelty free
- Works both as a primer and top coat
- Doesn’t provide volume and extra thickness
Just like its name, this clear mascara is lightweight and non-tacky. It is teen friendly and perfect for first time clear mascara users. It has a dual-purpose formula that works as mascara and brow gel. A little bit pricey but the formula is worth the price. It is produced without nuts, gluten, and paraben so if you have sensitivities towards those ingredients, you can wear this clear mascara safely.
- Minimize breakage and stimulate hair growth
- It contains glitters in it so you need to be careful not to get glitters onto your eyes
If you are looking for a natural look and don’t want to deal with removing black mascara every single night, this product is the perfect mascara to get. It defines and separates lashes and can work as a primer before you put on colored mascara. It even makes the colored mascara go on smoother. It is affordable and can be a nice option for everyday use.
- Can be used as stand alone or as a primer
- Didn’t change color when dry
- Also works as a brow gel
- The formula is thin and wet and may take some time to let it dry
So many people rave this product and even consider it as their holy grail. This product is mainly created as a brow gel and works wonders to tame even the most bushy and unruled eyebrows. But it works as clear mascara too and shows great results with no flaking. It doesn’t change color when dry and is safe for sensitive eyes. It is still affordable for such high-quality products.
- Not too sticky
- Dries fairly quickly
- The spoolie is a little bit hard and may take up too much product
The Mega Lash Clinical mascara is formulated specifically to help nourish and keep lashesh healthy and grow faster. It is basically a lash serum that comes in the form of clear mascara. It contains a peptide complex resulting in visibly longer, thicker, fuller-looking lashes. Fairly affordable for a clear mascara that is full of nourishing ingredients.
- Help your natural lashes to grow longer and thicker
- Can be used as an am/pm routine
- Doesn’t hold the lash curl
Define your lash and eyebrow with this gel mascara that can be built up. Achieve a natural looking neat eyebrow and lashes with just a single stroke. And if you want a more dramatic result, you can add some more. Very affordable for a multipurpose product and can be an option if you want to try clear mascara for the first time.
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t contain any nourishing or conditioning ingredients. Made for styling only.
This product has eyelash growth-promoting factors so the clear mascara can awaken sleeping hair follicles and revitalize eyelash scales. It can make eyelashes appear longer, thicker and more curly. It has compact size and lightweight packaging, which make the product portable. Very affordable and can be trusted as your travel buddy.
- Natural material
- Nourishing and revitalizing lashes
- Suitable for all skin types
- Short wand may make it a little bit difficult to apply
This product is probably the priciest among other clear mascara, but Ere Perez is a high-end beauty brand focusing on botanical ingredients for a clean and conscious living. Besides, the formula on this product is different and it does work making it worth the price. It contains aloe that hydrates lash and brows. It also leaves lashes and brows soft, not crunchy or flaky.
- Clean ingredients
- Can be used as a stand alone or as a primer
- Doesn’t very strong to hold curls and focusing more on nourishment
Is clear mascara healthy for your lashes?
Yes, clear mascara is healthy for your lashes especially if you pick the one that contains nourishing ingredients that can improve your overall lash health in the long run. Some clear mascaras also have the benefit to make your lashes longer and thicker. Some products even help sparse lashes to grow fuller. You just need to make sure that all the ingredients on the product are safe for your specific condition if you have certain sensitivities.
What is the point of clear mascara?
The main point of clear mascara is creating beautiful natural looking lashes. Clear mascara can help lashes look stand out and may be a little bit thicker but not too much. Perfect for a no-makeup makeup look when you don’t want to look like you try too hard but still look put together. If you expect something dramatic and bold, opt for colored mascaras instead.
What is the best brand for clear mascara?
The best brand for clear mascara depends on your needs, goals, skin types, and situation. If you are short on budget, the more affordable ones can be the best, but if you have specific skin conditions such as sensitive eyes, you can pick the one that is safe for sensitive eyes such as the one from Clinique.