Some of you might be wondering, why you should use clear mascara in the first place? What’s the point of using a makeup product that comes out clear?
But, if you ever go on a run during a hot summer day or go for a lunch break and then return to your desk with smudges all over your eyes, the chances are that you already know why clear mascara comes in handy. Clear mascara allows you to curl your lashes naturally, without the dark creases or fallout crumbs that dark mascaras leave.
So, how should you choose the best one? and what options do you have?
Our guide below will help you find the best clear mascara and provide you with helpful shopping tips to clear up (no pun intended!) any doubts you have about this type of product.
You have a few options for clear mascara, which is why we listed down these information for you.
- Mascara. As we mentioned before, a clear mascara (when used as a mascara only) is perfect when you want to avoid raccoon eyes or when you want to give your lashes a more natural look. It also acts as a styling gel for eyelashes; if you use an eyelash curler on your natural lashes, the chances are that they won’t hold a curl for very long. But with a bit of help from a clear mascara, you can hold on to that curl for much longer, minus the mess!
- Serum. Some clear “mascaras” are serums formulated to help your lashes grow. They fit the bill since they are clear and will go well on your lashes. There are many products that work as both lash serum and lash enhancer, and these kinds of products also allow you to style your lashes as you would with a clear mascara. If you prefer a natural look and want something that nourishes the lash hairs from within, then you can try a serum to help them grow. Some clear mascaras double up as a brow gel as well, so you can get a multifunctional product in your beauty bag by getting a clear brow and lash mascara.
Use Clear Mascaras Instead of Eyelash Primers
Some of you may be tempted to use an eyelash primer as a mascara, but actually the problem is that primers usually go on white instead of clear.
Primers are designed to be used on thin, short lashes before regular colored mascara. It helps lengthen and thicken them, which results in a fuller look once you apply your regular mascara.
Meanwhile, clear mascaras can be used before regular colored mascara or as a stand-alone.
Top 15 Best Clear Mascaras to Try
On our list below, we’ve selected some of the best clear mascaras for you to try. So check out the list down below and pick the one that suits your needs the most.
A great clear mascara that comes at a good price. This product will make your eyelashes appear longer, thicker, and doesn’t clump up. It also comes off really easy at night. You will need to wash some but not a whole lot of scrubbing. Moreover, it is also waterproof, holds the lash curl, and even works as a brow gel, too. In short, this product is worth trying even if you have long and straight lashes.
- Easy to remove
- Keep lashes curled all day long
- The wand is big and may not be very comfortable for some people
Comes in a big and long bottle, this clear mascara is definitely affordable. It contains small vitamin beads that will keep your lashes healthy and strong, which will also gives the lashes a healthy shine, making your eyes look fresh and stay natural all day long. Moreover, it also defines the lashes that will help them to stand up longer to give you beautiful natural looking lashes.
- Safe for sensitive eyes
- Contains vitamins
- Can be used as a nighttime treatment
- The vitamin beads often come out on the brush so you need to be careful not to get them into your eyes
The next one on our list is a product that can tame both your lashes and mascara at an affordable price. As a brow gel, this product can hold on shape better and as a mascara, it can hold the curls longer. Also, because it is clear, it does not smudge, so you don’t have to worry about raccoon eyes ever again. The gel formula glides on smoothly and applies easily, and you can wear it as a stand alone, or over your favorite mascara and brow products to lock them in.
- Paraben free
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t work well under powder product so you need to use it over brow products as a top coat
This conditioning clear mascara makes it easy for you to take control of your looks. Simply use it on both lashes and brows to prime, condition, groom, and also tame, while providing a solid, yet lightweight hold. This product is considered very affordable for something that can do it all, which even includes real lustrous diamond dust for a subtle yet alluring finish.
- Extra breathable
- Suitable for sensitive eyes and skin
- It is buildable but can be flakey if you overdo it
This clear mascara comes as a product that provides a more defined and fresh looking lashes. It dries clear and does not flake, but it is a little bit on the expensive side compared to the previous product. However, this clear mascara from Zuzu Luxe is gently formulated, so it is safe for sensitive eyes. Even better, it is also safe for those suffering from dry eye syndrome. if that’s not enough, you need to know that it also works as brow gel that can keep your brows in place all day long.
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Paraben free
- It doesn’t thicken the eyelashes so don’t expect it to give you extra volume
By wearing this mascara, your lashes will appear thicker and definitely longer. It holds up all day long, including when you go on a long workout session. This product works perfectly well as an eyebrow gel as well, which stays clear when it dries and definitely not flaky. We must say that it also comes with a great price point for a multipurpose product. On top of that, this product also contains protein and biotin that nourish and strengthen your lashes.
- Hold on curls
- Add lash volume
- Sticky when first applied
CoverGirl’s Professional Natural Lash Mascara features a clear gel formula that comes with a curved brush, which separates your lashes well while conditioning them. Plus, it helps to tame unruly brows, too. In terms of price, it is very affordable for a product that can do both. So all in all, this product is highly recommended for beginners who want to get their hands on clear mascara for the first time.
- Cruelty free
- Separate lashes and tame eyebrows
- The formula is a little bit thick and can feel heavy
With the help of this wonderful Wet N Wild Mega Clear Brow & Lash Mascara you will achieve a polished lash and brows in an instant. The gel formula is easy to apply and it allows you to style your lashes and eyebrows quickly and effectively for the perfect look. Blended with Soy Protein and ProVitamin B5, this clear mascara helps to condition the brows and also lashes, while providing a strong and comfortable hold. Super affordable and worth trying.
- Cruelty free
- Works both as a primer and top coat
- Doesn’t provide volume and extra thickness
Just like its name, this clear mascara is super lightweight and non-tacky. It is teen friendly and will come as a perfect product for first time clear mascara users. Comes with a dual-purpose formula that works as mascara and brow gel, this product is a little bit pricey, but the formula is definitely worth the price. If you’re wondering why, it’s because it is produced without nuts, gluten, and also paraben, so if you have sensitivities towards those ingredients, then you can wear this clear mascara safely.
- Minimize breakage and stimulate hair growth
- It contains glitters in it so you need to be careful not to get glitters onto your eyes
If you are looking for a natural look but you don’t want to deal with removing black mascara every single night, then this product is the perfect mascara to get. It is not only defines and separates lashes, because it can also work as a primer before you put on your colored mascara. Moreover, it even makes the colored mascara go on smoother. In terms of price, it is affordable, which can be a nice option for everyday use.
- Can be used as stand alone or as a primer
- Didn’t change color when dry
- Also works as a brow gel
- The formula is thin and wet and may take some time to let it dry
So many people rave this product, while some even consider it as their holy grail. This product is mainly created as a brow gel and it works wonders to tame, even the most bushy and unruled eyebrows. But it works as clear mascara, too and shows great results with no flaking. Furthermore, it doesn’t change color when dry and is super safe for sensitive eyes. When it comes to price, you can relax because it is still considered as affordable, especially for such high-quality products.
- Not too sticky
- Dries fairly quickly
- The spoolie is a little bit hard and may take up too much product
The Mega Lash Clinical mascara is formulated specifically to help nourish and also keep your lashes healthy and grow faster. It is basically a lash serum that comes in the form of clear mascara, which contains a peptide complex resulting in visibly longer, thicker, and fuller-looking lashes. Las but not least, it is also fairly affordable for a clear mascara that is full of nourishing ingredients.
- Help your natural lashes to grow longer and thicker
- Can be used as an am/pm routine
- Doesn’t hold the lash curl
Define your lash and eyebrow with this gel mascara that can be built up. Thanks to this product, you can achieve a natural looking neat eyebrow and lashes with just a single stroke. Moreover, if you want a more dramatic result, you can add some more of it. It is very affordable for a multipurpose product, which can be an option if you want to try clear mascara for the first time.
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t contain any nourishing or conditioning ingredients and made for styling only
This product includes eyelash growth-promoting factors, which will allow the clear mascara to awaken sleeping hair follicles and revitalize your eyelash scales. Even better, it can even make your eyelashes appear longer, thicker and also more curly. When it comes to packaging, it has a compact size and it’s very lightweight, too. So, this product is very portable to bring wherever you go. Plus, it is also very affordable and can be trusted as your travel buddy.
- Natural material
- Nourishing and revitalizing lashes
- Suitable for all skin types
- Short wand may make it a little bit difficult to apply
This product is probably the most priciest among other clear mascaras on our list. But you probably know that Ere Perez is one of the high-end beauty brands that focuses on botanical ingredients for a clean and conscious living. Moreover, the formula of this product is very different compared to other similar products, and it does work making it worth the price. It is not only contain aloe that hydrates lash and brows, but it also leaves lashes and brows soft, not crunchy or flaky.
- Clean ingredients
- Can be used as a stand alone or as a primer
- Doesn’t very strong to hold curls and focusing more on nourishment
Is clear mascara healthy for your lashes?
Definitely yes, clear mascara is healthy for your lashes, especially if you pick the one that contains nourishing ingredients that can improve your overall lash health in the long run. Some clear mascaras also have the benefit to make your lashes longer and thicker. Moreover, some products even help sparse lashes to grow fuller. You just need to make sure that all the ingredients on the product are safe for your specific condition if you have certain sensitivities.
What is the point of clear mascara?
The main point of clear mascara is to create beautiful natural looking lashes. Clear mascara can also help lashes to stand out and may be a little bit thicker but not too much. Perfect for a no-makeup makeup look when you don’t want to look like you try too hard but still look put together. However, if you expect something dramatic and bold, opt for colored mascaras instead.
What is the best brand for clear mascara?
The best brand for clear mascara depends on your needs, goals, skin types, and situation. If you are short on budget, then the more affordable ones can be the best, but if you have specific skin conditions such as sensitive eyes, then you can pick the one that is safe for sensitive eyes such as the one from Clinique.