It’s not easy shopping for cosmetics when you have sensitive skin. And it sure isn’t cheap, either.
You often find yourself shopping in the organic section and spending much more money than those who can get away with the cheaper drugstore products, but with a bit of help from us, it doesn’t have to be that way.
In our list below, we’ll help you find the best eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes and help you understand what type of products you should be using.
We’ll top off our guide with reviews of our three favorite products and then leave you making your own choice.
First and Foremost – DO the TEST PATCH
It doesn’t matter how many expert opinions you read or how many makeup gurus you seek answers from: we all have different skin, and we all have different reactions to skin care products.
The suggestions we have for you here might be great for some people with sensitive eyes, but not for everyone. Before you give any of these a try, make sure that you are NOT allergic to any ingredients or products by doing a test patch.
The best place to test a product is on your neck: this is far enough away from the eyes not to irritate them but close enough to give you an idea of how your body will react. Always try before you apply!
What You Can Use to Remove Eye Makeup (When You Have Sensitive Eyes)
Who says that the best eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes must be marketed or labeled as such?
Sometimes the most effective products are intended for other uses but double up as fabulous makeup removal products.
- Jojoba Oil. We know that some carrier oils require a higher investment up front, but they last much longer than any specialty products you’ll find, and they are also more versatile. You don’t need to get the most expensive jojoba oil, though. Choose a bottle of the cheaper kind (and by more affordable, that doesn’t mean it will automatically be lower in quality) and one with a dropper so you can use it properly without wasting any product. Just a few drops on a cotton swab or cotton disc, and you’re on your way to makeup-free eyes minus the irritation.
- Natural, Tear-Free Soap. Tear-free soap that is also free of all junk (sulfates, parabens, harsh chemicals, etc.) is a great way to get rid of heavy eye makeup when you’re still washing your face. You need to understand that you don’t need to spread the soap all over your face since it might cause the rest of your skin to break out. Put a small drop on your fingers, lather it up, close your eyes and gently wash off the makeup. Rinse and then proceed as usual with your face cleansing routine!
- Sweet Almond Oil. Make sure that you opt for unscented sweet almond oil, as the scented oil is just too strong and might end up irritating your eyes. It is an alternative to jojoba oil and can also help you remove traces of foundation and other makeup from the skin’s surface. There are other products specifically designed for removing eye makeup that might work for you, so if you find that these natural solutions don’t do the trick, try the others.
What You Should Avoid
Some products contain ingredients that might irritate sensitive eyes, so if you see the following ingredients on the product label, it is best to avoid them:
- Some Essential Oils
- Products with Citrus
- Witch Hazel
If you use these around the eyes, they might trigger an allergic reaction. Aside from the previously mentioned ingredients, you may also need to look at your skin’s unique needs since every skin is different. And again, we recommend that you always do the test patch to ensure a product is safe!
Top 15 Best Eye Makeup Remover for Sensitive Eyes
To help you find the safest products, we’ve gathered a list of the best eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes below.
Neutrogena dual-phase 100% oil-free liquid eye makeup remover and makeup cleanser is formulated with soothing aloe and cucumber for sensitive eyes. The oil-free and non-greasy eye makeup remover formula helps remove all eye makeup, even stubborn waterproof mascara, leaving skin feeling clean and fresh with no heavy residue left behind. The best eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes at an affordable price.
- Non-greasy formula
- Works well to remove waterproof mascara
- Need larger amount of products and longer time to remove stubborn waterproof makeup
This gentle waterproof eye makeup remover has a bi-phase formula that instantly and effectively removes face and eye makeup. It is Fragrance-free, Paraben-free, and Ophthalmologist tested that will make you feel safe using it on your sensitive eyes. It is very affordable so you can remove your eye makeup safely without having to go bankrupt.
- Gently takes the eye makeup off without stripping the skin
- able to remove lash adhesive
- Needs to be shaken well before using
- Leaves a slightly oily residue
Cetaphil is a brand that is known for their specifically formulated products for sensitive skin. This eye remover is no different. It is oil free making it safe for you if your skin can’t tolerate any kind of oils. This affordable product is also formulated with aloe vera, ginseng and green tea leaving your eyes area clean and refreshed.
- Fragrance free
- Oil free
- The hole is pretty big compared to other products so you need to be careful not to put out too much products
This Marcelle gentle makeup remover is formulated specifically for sensitive eyes. These thick wipes are pre-soaked in an oil-free solution to gently remove makeup, including waterproof mascara. Perfect for travel and on-the-go. WIth an affordable price you can get 85 hypoallergenic pads. You can have healthy skin without sacrificing the glamorous side of beauty.
- Fragrance free
- Paraben free
- Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
- The pads are thin and it can be hard to separate them from one another
Do you need something strong to remove the stubborn longwear and waterproof makeup but don’t want to irritate your sensitive eyes? This product is definitely worth the price. You can safely remove stubborn eye makeup with ease with no rinsing needed. On top of that, the pads are biodegradable so you don’t have to worry about harming the environment.
- Hypoallergenic and ophthalmologist tested
- Cruelty free
- Fragrance free
- Biodegradable pads
- Leave an oily residue
- The pads are small so you need two or more pads to perfectly remove the makeup
Made for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, this formula does not irritate your eyes at all or the sensitive skin around your eyes. Non-greasy or oily so it’s perfect for fixing up any eyeliner/shadow mistakes. Easy to remove waterproof makeup with no pressure needed. Creamy and lightweight, it easily wipes away any waterproof makeup that other cleansers leave behind.
- Paraben free
- May not suitable for super dry skin since the formula can be a little bit drying
This rich, creamy lotion effectively removes all signs of makeup, including long-lasting mascara. As gentle to the eyes as tears, it spreads evenly and quickly, dissolving away makeup without leaving an oily after-feel. This product removes non-waterproof mascara and makeup efficiently and softly without irritating the skin.
- Paraben free
- Light and creamy
- Easy to use
- Need an extra step to wipe it down
- May not work effectively on waterproof makeup and leave some residue behind
This eye makeup remover does the job really well removing waterproof mascara and long wearing eyeliners without irritating sensitive eyelids. It’s actually incredibly gentle on the skin and does not sting in case you accidently get some of the products onto your eyes. Suitable for all skin types and can soften, and moisturize delicate skin around the eyes. It is a little bit pricey but worth the result.
- Removes waterproof makeup quickly
- Does not sting or burn the delicate eye area
- Has a noticeable fragrance
An award-winning makeup remover that effectively cleanses away eye makeup while being gentle enough for sensitive skin and contact-lens wearers. This gentle eye-makeup remover cleanses and nourishes lashes without tugging. The lipid phase effortlessly lifts eye makeup while the water phase uses emollients to gently remove makeup residue. The formula is suitable for sensitive skin and eyes. Can be pricey for some people but the results are amazing. You don’t have to wake up with raccoon eyes any more.
- Fragrance free
- Gentle for sensitive eyes and remove makeup effectively
- Leaves an oily residue
- A little bit pricey
This do-it-all formula removes waterproof makeup and contains a lash-strengthening complex that’s rich in flavonoids and olive wood extracts. This product is ophthalmologist tested and suits sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. It removes waterproof mascara easily. This product is very affordable but works just as well as high-end products.
- Paraben and sulfate free
- Vegan formula
- Rich in flavonoids and olive wood extracts
- Oily and leaves a sticky feeling
An oil makeup remover that is formulated specifically to clean eyes with lash extensions. It melts away waterproof makeup and lash glue effectively. The price point is very affordable so you can get a hassle free eye makeup remover without having to spend too much money. This product works as both makeup remover and false lashes cleaner.
- Melts away makeup and lash glue quickly
- Removes strip lashes and lash clusters without pulling out your natural lashes
- Basically pure oil so it leaves a noticeable oily residue you need to rinse off afterwards
An oil-free eye makeup remover that is not greasy at all. If you made a mistake on your makeup, you can use this makeup remover to fix it simply by dipping a cotton swab in it and fix your mistake without messing up the rest of your makeup. The price point is moderate and still affordable for its quality.
- Oil free
- Enriched with Chamomile extract that is known for having a soothing effect on skin
- Need more effort to clean waterproof mascara and eyeliners along the lash line
A gentle eye makeup remover that rinses eye makeup faster and easier without rubbing. It is safe for sensitive eyes and does not burn or sting, even when you are currently battling with damaged skin barrier. It does not irritate the skin area with its smooth gel formula. Moderately affordable especially since it is safe for sensitive eyes.
- Aqueous gel formula will not drip into eyes
- Same pH as natural tears, will not sting or burn sensitive eyes
- May need a couple of wipes to perfectly clean waterproof eyeliner and mascara
Pureté Thermale 3-in-1 One Step Cleanser is an ultra-quick and practical cleanser, for even sensitive skin. Combines the efficacy of a milk, toner, and eye make-up remover in a single step, this product is ideal for people with busy lifestyles. This product is pretty affordable for its amazing formula.
- Paraben Free
- Alcohol Free
- It doesn’t take all of the makeup in one try. You may need a second step to get stubborn makeup fully removed
This micellar makeup remover leaves skin feeling clean and not sticky. It does help take off makeup and make your skin feel fresh afterwards. It also feels like it works as a toner. It is suitable for dry and sensitive skin, leaving them feeling smooth and moisturized. Very affordable for a multitasking product that can trap dirt, oil, makeup and pollution so impurities can be easily wiped away.
- Oil Free
- Paraben Free
- Soap Free
- Alcohol Free
- Does contain fragrance
What eye makeup remover is best for sensitive eyes?
The best makeup remover for sensitive eyes should be the ones that do not contain irritating ingredients such as parabens and alcohol. However, every skin condition is different so you may need to take better attention to the ingredient list. When in doubt, always remember that the simpler the ingredients, the better.
What is the safest eye makeup remover?
The safest eye makeup remover is the one with gentle formulas. Gentle formula will not irritate the eyes as well as the skin around the eyes. You may also need to look up for a more moisturizing formula to ensure that the eye makeup remover will not dry your skin. Also pay attention to ingredients that may have a potential to trigger an allergic reaction.
What is the gentlest way to remove eye makeup?
The gentlest way to remove eye makeup is by using a gentle eye makeup remover formula that does not irritate the skin. Make sure that the eye makeup remover is effective so you can remove all the eye makeup effectively without having to rub your eyes. Place the products on your eyes and hold some time until it breaks down the makeup and wipe gently.