It can be virtually impossible to figure out the best eyeshadow for you. With so many options out there, plus the new releases that are coming out daily, it can be a little challenging for you to keep up.
From bright colors to neutrals, from mattes to shimmer, there are countless options to choose from. Aside from the options, there’s also a wide variety of factors to consider as well, such as our skin tones, eye colors, etc.
That is exactly why we decided to put together this guide, which will help you in terms of figuring out the best eyeshadow options. This selection of eyeshadows has been loved and raved by many, and we’ve compiled them into a list you can look up for yourself.
What to Look for When Eyeshadow Shopping
Eyeshadows are never too tricky to figure out, whether you’re a makeup fanatic or completely inexperienced. More often than not, it comes down to personal preference. You can choose the best eyeshadow for you by figuring out what colors you know you’re likely to wear.
But aside from personal preference, there are a few simple elements that you should always consider when looking for your next eyeshadow as listed below.
- Pigmentation. When looking for the best eyeshadow, you should keep an eye out (no pun intended!) for specific keywords, and pigmentation being one of them. Pigmentation refers to the color payoff of the eyeshadow. There are so many options out there, but you’ll often find it hard to find eyeshadows that pack on the color. If you want to get the most out of your purchase, then pigmentation is essential.
- Palettes. While there are many excellent options for individual eyeshadows, and we’ve listed a few below, still there’s no safer bet than a palette. With a palette, you’ll get a broader range of options of shades that you can work with. Moreover, Palettes are also ideal for helping you create an entire look because they offer lighter and darker shades, which will work with and develop more dimensions with your eyeshadow look.
- Matte or Shimmer. If you aren’t going for a palette, then you’ll need to figure out which of the two formulas you’d rather have. Would it be a matte eyeshadow or a shimmer eyeshadow? Mattes are most commonly used since they’re easier to work as a base for daily use and look more natural, too. Meanwhile shimmers are ideal to add more colors or to wear when you plan on going to special occasions as well. Even if you’re planning to go for a palette, you should pay attention to the matte to shimmer ratio in the palette. You’ll find palettes that might have more mattes or shimmers, and you can also pick the one that serves you the most based on your personal preference and needs.
Top 15 Best Eyeshadows
After learning about eyeshadows and what to pay attention to, we’ve also selected a number of the best eyeshadow available on the market for you to try down below.
Elf is a brand that continues to amaze beauty enthusiasts with its affordability and performance. With a very affordable price, its color stories are exactly like a higher-end brand. This product is more than just highly pigmented, because it’s also easy to transport due to its compact size. It can definitely be your go-to palette to carry on your purse for easy touch up. Moreover, this little eyeshadow palette comes in various pretty color options, and all shades will apply smoothly and not chalku with minimum fall out.
- Compact design
- Available in various colors
- Not chalky
- May fade a little quicker compared to high-end brands but you can put on primers prior to make it last longer
Look at those gorgeous vibrant colors! This eyeshadow palette does it all. If you are looking for a palette that you can use for different makeup looks for different occasions, then this is the one to get. It has a balance matte to shimmer ratio enough to create different makeup looks, whether you opt for an artistic vibrant look or a more natural one. The color range is also super wide from neutrals to neons. And the best of all, is that the formula is buildable and blendable, so you can create a limitless makeup look with a single palette.
All in all, this product is highly recommended especially because it is also very affordable for a palette containing so much colors.
- Wide color range
- Buildable vibrant colors
- Highly pigmented eyeshadows are usually a little harder to remove
- A little bit chalky
You can create a variety of looks with this little eyeshadow palette. It has a crease and fade resistant formula allowing you to wear it for a long time with no touch up. However, it is quite expensive for such a small palette with one color story, but it is totally safe for sensitive eyes, which makes it worth the price. Especially since it is hard to get a blue eyeshadow palette that actually gives the color payoff.
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Stays on well
- The light blue color doesn’t give so much color payoff but you can build it to achieve the desired pigmentation
An ultra pigmented eye shadow single that gives your eyes an add of beautiful glimmer. You need at least one of this eye shadow glitter to use, just in case you need a touch of extra glam for a special occasion. Available in different colors, this eyeshadow is very affordable and definitely worth buying, especially since it has vitamin E on its formula, making it easy to apply and give a smooth glimmery result.
- Parabens free
- Fragrance free
- Need a specific eyeshadow application skill to pack the glitter neatly
This one is truly a magical eyeshadow with iridescent glitter that allows changeable hue of rainbow on your eyelids. This is the palette to get if you opt for an advanced artistry makeup look. It contains eyeshadows with different colors and textures from sheer mattes to shining glitter toppers. Moreover, it also has rich pigments and packed glitters with a light-catching dimension. Without a doubt, this one also comes super affordable for a palette that actually delivers magic.
- Unique iridescent formula
- Easy to blend
- Compact size
- Due to its compact size, each pan is a little bit too small and might to be comfortable for some makeup users
The next product on our list is an ultimate nude palette that has so many different shades from cool to warm making it suitable for every skin tone. It is easy to build and blend, so you can mix your own combo to create a brand new shade that compliments your skin the most. With a great mix of mattes and silver, the shades will allow you to create different makeup looks for different occasions. Undoubtedly, this product is the suitable booth for everyday makeup users as well as professional makeup artists. In terms of price, it’s pretty affordable for the amount of product you get.
- Blendable and buildable
- Easy to mix and match
- Incredible pigmentation
- The shimmers are subtle so you may need a glitter topper if you want something that is really pop
This is a great eyeshadow palette for a cool pop of blue eyeliner look. We highly recommend this palette if you haven’t owned many blue eyeshadows and are interested to try on some dramatic shades. However, if you are not into blue eyeshadow looks, then you can also get the other cutie palette from Nabla with different color stories. Since this palette is quite pricey for the amount of product you get, this product would be the perfect one for those of you who are looking for something funky and dramatic instead of those who seek for natural makeup look.
- Real pigment payoff
- Easy to blend
- You need to put on some primers to make the glittery shades show up
Unlike other liquid shadows that are usually glittery and work as a topper, this fluid eye paint actually dries off matte. It is available in various colors to choose from, and will give you the color payoff just the way you imagine it. This product can be used both as eyeshadow and eyeliner with a smaller brush. However, it’s a little bit pricey for a single product, but you can create a more creative look with liquid eyeshadows so it is worth the price.
- Amazing color payoff
- Can work both as eyeshadow or liner
- Water and sweat resistant
- Dries down pretty fast so you need to work quickly and might not be the perfect product to choose for a beginner
If you want a quick and easy pretty eye makeup look, then this scattered light glitter eyeshadow is the one to get. It is definitely glittery as the name suggested, but the glitters are super fine creating a smooth glimmery look. It gives an incredible color payoff, making it a real one-done eyeshadow as you don’t need any other product to create a multidimensional beautiful look. However, it’s a little on the expensive side for a single eyeshadow, but you can consider it as a treat-your-self product to get as the quality does the price justice.
- Smooth glitters
- Can work as a stand alone or as a topper
- Doesn’t works well if you use brush so you need to use your fingers instead
You can definitely create any look from a neutral work day look, then just add a pop of color from this same palette for a stunning evening look. The colors are super pigmented and the shimmers are super ethereal. It contains vibrant and vivid color, making it perfect for makeup enthusiasts who love to experiment with creative makeup looks. Also, it’s pretty affordable for the amount of products and colors you get.
- Very smooth and pigmented
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Need a primer or wet brush to get the best result
Looking for a basic eyeshadow single? Then this one is the ultimate product to grab. It is available in various colors ranging from neutrals for everyday natural look, to purple and neon green to satisfy your creative crave. With creamy and velvety finish, this product will definitely stay in place and doesn’t flake as well. However, the downside of this product is that it comes a little bit pricey for a single eyeshadow, but trust us when we say that it is very easy to use even for beginners. So, it is actually worth the price for beginners who want to achieve the perfect look.
- Creamy and velvety
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t flake
- Not suitable for sensitive eyes
A small and easy to carry palette that contains nine creamy neutral shades consisting mattes and shimmers. This is the palette to get if you opt for an elegant glam look that doesn’t look too much, but enough for both day activities and night occasions. Although the price point is on the pricier side, and since Huda Beauty is a notable high-end brands, we have to say that once you get your hands o this palette, you will see that the quality and blendability is totally worth the price.
- Creamy and easy to blend
- Super pigmented
- The glitter shades are quite fragile so you need to take a good care since they can break quite easily
The best part of eyeshadow sticks is that they are very easy to travel with, without having to worry about the shadows breaking in your bag as regular eyeshadows might do. Plus, it is also small in size and can easily fit your purses and even your pocket. It is creamy and easy to blend, but not messy at all so if you have oily skin, then you can still use it just fine. Another goo thing about this product is that it is easy to blend and once it sets, it will stay for a day long. Due to it’s wonderful ingredients, you will feel how light it is on your skin, as if you don’t wear creamy products on your eyelids. However, it’s a little bit pricey for a single eyeshadow, but the simplicity it brings does save your time.
- Easy to carry
- Easy to blend
- May crease after a couple of hours if you don’t wear a primer before this product
This one is a must have product, as it comes as a basic neutral palette in a very affordable price. The biggest palette provides a base color to start before you use the rest of the palette to create dimension and depth. The shimmers work both as eyeshadow toppers and also great for inner corners or highlighting the brow bone. It is considered as a very affordable product and worth buying for everyday neutral makeup looks.
- Easy to carry compact design
- Wearable for daily activities
- Doesn’t give major color payoff like high-end products, so you need to take more time to build up the color
The major selling point offered by this product is definitely its stacked bento style design. This design is not only unique but also actually making it easier for you to carry and use, since the colors won’t mix up with each other. It is available in various color stories, and each product contains a matte shadow, a shimmer, and also a glitter. You can play with the three of them to create different looks for different occasions. However, it is a little bit pricey for an eyeshadow trio, but the effortless beauty does the price justice.
- Effortless application
- Safe for sensitive eyes
- Doesn’t have a very strong stay power so you may need to do some touch ups
Which brand of eyeshadow is best?
The best eyeshadow brand is practically all of the above since we’ve carefully selected only the top rated ones only for you. However, the only things that you need to consider include the price point, the formula, your skin type suitability, and also your overall eye makeup goal. For instance, if you want something that is versatile, you can opt for basic neutral ones, and if you need to channel your creativity, you can get the rainbow colors.
What type of eyeshadow lasts the longest?
The liquid eyeshadow may last the longest since it sets on dry and doesn’t move easily as well. However, it still depends on your skin type and other products that you use prior as well. Oily skin is often prone to crease so you may need to use a good-quality primer beforehand. Meanwhile other types of eyeshadow can last for a long time too if you use a great primer.
How do I choose the best eyeshadow?
To choose for the best eyeshadow, you will need to consider your skin type and sensitivity first. Carefully pay attention to the ingredients, and make sure that they don’t contain anything that might irritate your sensitive eyes. Secondly, consider your skin tone. Not every shade works well for different undertones, so you may need to try several shades before getting the perfect match.