One of the most popular drugstore brands on the planet is the one and only Maybelline New York. From fabulous foundations to sexy shadows, their product range has something for every budget.
Their mascaras are particularly popular, but which ones stand out above the rest? What is the difference between each product – aside from the wand shape – and what is there to know about the formulas?
Find the answers to those questions here in our guide, where we highlight the best Maybelline mascara that the brand has to offer. We will also share a few of our shopping secrets that will help choose the right one for your lashes.
Top 10 Maybelline Mascaras Table
|Picture||Name||What It’s For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||What It’s For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Maybelline Lash Discovery Washable Mascara, Very Black, 0.16 fl oz ||Hard to reach lashes||$$$||4.5|
|2. Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Colossal Washable Mascara, Glam Black, 0.31 fl. oz. ||Adding clump-free volume||$$||4.4|
|3. Maybelline New York Great Lash Curved Brush Mascara, Blackest Black 120, 0.43 Fl. Oz. ||Curling straight lashes||$||4.3|
|4. Maybelline New York Define-A-Lash Lengthening Washable Mascara, Very Black, 0.22 Fluid Ounce ||Lengthening lashes||$$$||4.3|
|5. Maybelline New York Full 'N Soft Washable Mascara, Very Black, 0.28 fl. oz. ||Thickening lashes||$$$||4.3|
|6. Maybelline New York The Falsies Volum' Express Washable Mascara, Blackest Black, 0.25 Fluid Ounce ||Separate and lengthen||$$||4.2|
|7. Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Mascara, Waterproof Brownish Black, 0.3 Fluid Ounce ||Coating all lash layers||$$$$||4.2|
|8. Maybelline New York Great Lash Big Washable Mascara, Blackest Black 130, 0.34 Fluid Ounce ||Volume||$||4.2|
|9. Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Washable Mascara, Very Black, 0.22 fl. oz. ||Lengthening||$$$$||4.2|
|10. Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Rocket Washable Mascara, Blackest Black, 0.3 fl. oz. ||Volume||$$$||4.2|
Maybelline’s Top Mascara Lines
Does Maybelline just put the same product in a different tube, change the wand, and change the packaging?
No, they do not. We even checked.
The ingredients vary even between products within the same line, but to help make it easier for the consumer to choose one, they group similar products together.
- Volum’ Express. In this line, you’ll find products that offer 9X or 12X the volume. Some of the wands in this line make it easier to apply a thicker coating of product in one stroke, but if you don’t want to layer, you could try something like Volum’ Express The Colossal.
- Great Lash. Maybelline’s Great Lash mascara has been a favorite for over 40 years, and it is still a going strong today. Their original formula – Great Lash Curved – is one of the most popular products in this line, receiving high praise from magazines, readers, makeup junkies, and everyone in between.
There are a few different options, each with a different wand and a slightly different formula, including a waterproof version if you don’t want the washable kind.
- Full ‘N Soft. There are only two products in this line – the washable version and the waterproof version. We found the washable mascara to perform slightly better than the waterproof, which is why the latter didn’t make it on our list.
- Lash Sensational. These mascaras are designed to give your lashes the full fan effect. Since your lashes consist of various layers, the wand in these products will help you apply the product to all of them. The result is more volume from root to tip.
- Lash Stiletto. If you have short, stubby lashes, then check out their Stiletto products. Just like the Full ‘N Soft, this comes in both the washable and waterproof versions, but the waterproof formula just wasn’t up to par.
What’s up with the Wands?
The best Maybelline mascara varies from user to user because we all have different lashes. Some are thin, and some are thick. Some are short, and some are long. Some are stick straight and thick while others are slightly curved and thin. The combinations are numerous!
When you understand what type of wand shape will help your lashes the most, shopping for mascara is so much easier.
- Curved. The curved wand will help add a bit of curl to your lashes. If yours are stick-straight, then you will still need the help of an eyelash curler to help you achieve a lasting curl, but if you’re just looking to define your lashes and add a bit of curl, go with the curved wand.
- Straight. For general use without any special lash powers, a straight wand will do the trick. Keep in mind that those with thin bristles will apply the product more heavily, helping add volume to particularly thin lashes.
Wands with thicker bristles will also help add volume, but they help you apply the product to lashes individually, and you can increase the volume by building up the product.
- Tapered. The tapered wand is very handy if you are having a tough time coating all lashes from the inner corner to the outer corner of your eyes.
The smaller end helps you reach lashes in the outer regions and along the bottom lash line while the thicker end helps you add more oomph to the middle of your top lash line.
5 Best Maybelline Mascara Reviews
After trying quite a few different mascaras from the brand, we felt that their washable products outperformed the waterproof products by a long shot.
Do you want to discover how beautiful your real lashes are? This mascara will help you!
The straight, thin wand is designed to help those of you with short, thin lashes to achieve length and clump-free volume.
To apply, Maybelline recommends sweeping from root to tip without adding in the side-to-side motion. We would have to agree with that, as the latter will probably create unsightly clumps that end up falling off later.
Since the wand is so small and thin, users with thicker lashes will probably only find it useful on the bottom lash line. For the top lashes, you would need a thicker brush to help you add length and volume. It is also handy for applying the product to the outermost lashes and those on the inside corners, as well.
We like that it washes off so easily at the end of the day, but if you have oily lids, some product will most likely show.
Add some serious volume to your lashes with the Colossal!
Not only is the wand large and in charge, but the formula also contains collagen to help you plump those lashes. If yours are naturally thick or average, then this product will help you achieve a more dramatic look.
Do you have thin lashes? That’s not a problem because the colossal will help thicken them with smooth, clump free strokes. The product dries fairly quickly after you apply it, but you might experience flaking or crumbling a few hours after you apply. Flaking usually occurs because the mascara is old, users don’t wait long enough between coats or because the lashes are still wet, so just remember that it isn’t always due to the formula.
Overall, we did feel that it was a purchase-worthy product. It might not help you with lash length, but for volume, it is very effective.
Ah, yes. Our list would not be complete without the original Great Lash mascara. We liked the version with the curved brush and know that it will help anyone with straight lashes to achieve a bit of curl.
This has proven to be a consistently good product for decades, and many loyal users who have tried other products still head back to Great Lash.
The formula is hypoallergenic (like many that we tried), and it is easy to remove.
Are the curling results dramatic? Of course not. You can’t expect a magical curl to happen without the use of a curler, but the point of this mascara is to help you avoid using one.
Not everyone needs a dramatic curl, so if you’re looking for something to use every day for more defined, slightly curvier lashes, Great Lash is hard to beat.
If your goal is to define and lengthen, then this is the right product for you.
Define-A-Lash works great for everyday use. It stays on well, applies evenly and doesn’t overdo it in the volume department. It quite simply helps you define what is already there!
We found that it works especially well on average to thick lashes. Those with thin, light colored lashes, however, might find that it isn’t the right type of wand for you.
It is available in very black or brownish black, and the formula is gentle enough to wear with contacts.
We loved it!
For adding volume that doesn’t feel brittle and chunky; Maybelline formulated Full ‘N Soft.
Your lashes really do feel soft when you apply this product, and the formula is much easier to wash off at the end of the day. In spite of being “quick dissolve,” it still does a pretty good job of staying on your lashes all day without flaking. You can apply one coat if you want or build volume with multiple coats.
Don’t expect this to add any curl to your lashes, but if you want a natural look and a great everyday mascara, try this one!