The eyes are truly the window to the soul. I believe that you can tell a lot about a person’s personality just by looking into their eyes. Moreover, eyes are the first things that people would notice. So, some people put a lot of effort into enhancing how their eyes look, so they can give the best first impression. And one way to do that is through lash extension. Yet, some people are not satisfied with just an extension and adding mascara on top of that. So, on this occasion, we shall discuss this issue further. But have you got in you mind, what happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions?
Aside from dramatically enhancing and giving an extra flutter to your lashes, the extension also brings out the color of your natural eyes. Moreover, it gives your lashes a youthful look and eventually makes you feel more confident in general. Because when you look good, you will definitely feel good.
However, sometimes having only lash extensions is not enough, and you’re probably thinking about applying mascara on your extension for maximum appearance. Well, before you do, it’s better to know what happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions. I shall tell you all I know about eyelashes extension and mascara!
Taking care of lash extensions is not as easy as taking care of your natural lashes. You need to do it properly so that they last for a long time. However, if you would like to add an extra kick to your lashes by adding mascara, several questions might arise; is it safe? Or can I apply mascara on my false lashes? Don’t worry; I’m here to answer all your worries.
- 1 Can You Wear Mascara with Lash Extensions?
- 2 Types of Mascaras You Should Avoid
- 3 What Mascara is Safe for Eyelash Extensions?
- 4 Water-based Mascara for Lashes Extension
- 5 How to Remove Mascara if You Have Lash Extensions
- 6 Can I Put Mascara on Fake Lashes?
- 7 How Long Should I Wait After Lash Extension to Put on Mascara?
- 8 Can I use mascara on hybrid and volume lash extensions?
- 9 Conclusion
Can You Wear Mascara with Lash Extensions?
Yes, you can wear mascara with lash extensions, with a few exceptions. First and foremost, I strongly recommend that you wear mascara over classic extensions and not over hybrid, volumized, and Russian extensions.
Classic extensions only apply one extension lash for every natural lash that you have. Hence, it’s the most suitable type to wear mascara on. As for volumized extensions, applying mascara over them would only create extra weight to your natural lashes. This situation might cause your lashes to fall out prematurely.
Plus, in my opinion, applying mascara to already thickened lashes would be pointless anyway. So now that we’ve gotten past that, below I shall explain to you why you should wear mascara on your extensions and also what happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions.
- The right mascara will give you the extra finishing touch that you need when you attend a special occasion. Your lash extensions will be thicker, creating a bolder, and they will have a more dramatic look.
- Mascara will also nourish and condition your natural lashes and increase the length of the lash extensions. Most of the mascara products produced nowadays are manufactured with eco-conscious ingredients. They include stem cells, plant-based biotin, keratin, and other safer components. Hence, I don’t think that you can replace mascara with only extensions because it can give your lashes natural growth and healthier outcomes.
- Mascara can help fill the holes in the extensions. It helps separate the clumpier ones and bring them back nice and fresh again. So if you feel like your lash extensions are getting sparse, mascara will rescue you!
Types of Mascaras You Should Avoid
After knwing what happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions, with all that being said, there are also some big no-nos when you buy mascara for your lash extensions. If you ask what will happen if you put mascara on eyelash extensions, the answer depends on the type of mascara you’re using. As I’ve hinted above, not all mascara products are compatible with your lash extensions. Here are some types of mascaras you need to avoid when you have lash extensions.
- Oil-based mascara. Mascaras that contain any type of oil in their ingredients will ruin the adhesive that holds your lash extensions altogether. On top of that, they are also incredibly hard to remove. Avoid mascaras that contain added oils such as lanolin, eucalyptus oil, castor oil, paraffin, linseed oil, sesame oil, and other oil-based ingredients.
- Tube mascara. Tube mascara does not mean mascaras that come in tubes. It’s simply a product that contains polymers, which keep your lashes from smudging even on a hot sunny muggy day. While it’s easy to remove from natural lashes, you will have a tough time removing them from the extensions. It sticks like glue and can truly be homework on taking them off. Worst, they damage both your natural lashes and your lash extensions in the process.
- Fiber mascara. These types of mascara are latched with dry fibers (silk, rayon, nylon) that make lashes look denser and thicker. And just like oil-based mascara, these types of products are extremely difficult to remove.
What Mascara is Safe for Eyelash Extensions?
Mascaras that are safe to use for eyelash extensions are water-based mascaras or mascaras that do not contain any added oils in their formula. Unlike oil-based mascaras, water-based mascaras do not break down the bond of your lash extensions as well as natural lashes.
Water-based mascaras that have a neutral pH, are organic, and are free of chemicals are the most, if not the only, product you should be using for your lash extensions. They are also quick to dry and very easy to clean. But just because they are safe, I don’t think that you can apply them just as you would normal mascara. Extra care must be considered when applying the mascara, all the way until you remove them at the end of the day. Below are tips and tricks when using mascara over your lashes.
- I highly recommend that you only apply mascara from the middle and outwards to the tip of your lashes. Avoid brushing from the roots, as it may ruin the glue of the lash extensions, which can cause an early fallout.
- Be extremely gentle when removing your mascara. Avoid oil-based makeup removers, and avoid any aggressive movements such as rubbing and pulling your lashes.
- The last and most important rule is never to sleep with your mascara intact. The mascara buildup in your lash extensions, when left overnight, will be highly vulnerable to bacteria and could lead to eye infections.
Water-based Mascara for Lashes Extension
Here are some mascara brands that would be compatible with eyelash extensions!
- Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara. Because it is one of the most well-known brands, you can find it in any drugstore at an affordable price. This mascara will be compatible with your eyelash extensions as it is oil-free. You can safely wash it with micellar water or other oil-free makeup removers.
- Benefit Cosmetics Bad Gal Lash Mascara. Now, if you need to thicken your eyelashes after you’ve finished the extension procedure, this mascara is the one. Despite being water-based, it can still volumize your eyelashes very well, making them fuller and luscious. Although some reviews say that it tends to flake, you can use a primer to get around this problem.
- BeautyGARDE oil-free mascara. As I’ve mentioned previously, oil and lash extensions do not mix well. The oil may break down your beautiful eyelashes extension glue. Hence, this particular mascara is worth a try. It’ll provide you with major volume, thickening your beautiful eyelashes even more!
How to Remove Mascara if You Have Lash Extensions
Having a lash extension is not all fun and game. It does make your eyelashes look super beautiful, and some might argue that it’ll look more natural. However, it comes with extra responsibility. For instance, you can’t just clean it haphazardly. Otherwise, your extension may become undone! And so I shall tell you the correct way to do it.
First of all, you will need an oil-free makeup remover. As I’ve repeatedly mentioned, do not put oil on your lash extensions! Even oil-based mascara remover would be bad. Then, you may use a clean spoolie brush to wipe off the mascara. Dip the spoolie into the oil-free makeup remover and gently brush off the lashes. Do not use a cotton pad because it’ll cause breakage! Last but not least, gently wipe and dry the eyelashes with a tissue.
Can I Put Mascara on Fake Lashes?
You can put mascara on fake lashes, while it isn’t necessary. Not all people are born with long, natural, curly lashes. Hence, people opt to put on fake lashes. In fact, make-up artists and gurus recommend doing so. Applying mascara could even blend your natural and synthetic lashes together naturally.
Therefore, I highly recommend you put on mascara after putting on your falsies, so the application process will be much easier and a lot cleaner, too. And just like lash extensions, only apply mascaras starting from the middle part until the tip of your lashes, because it will prevent the glue from breaking out.
How Long Should I Wait After Lash Extension to Put on Mascara?
It is okay to put on mascara after you’ve done your lash extension procedure. However, not right away! You have to wait for at least 48 hours until your extension has settled and dried. This way, you won’t have to worry about damaging them. Plus, do not forget to only use oil-free mascara because oil-based ones may dissolve the bonding agent, ruining your extension.
Although, in my opinion, you should not need to put on mascara at all if you’ve only recently done the extension. This procedure usually will be enough to lengthen and thicken your eyelashes already so mascara might be redundant.
Can I use mascara on hybrid and volume lash extensions?
Yeah, as I’ve repeatedly said, mascara is not necessary if you’ve done the eyelash extension properly. But if you still insist, find one that does not contain oil. But for hybrid and volume lashes, I do not recommend putting any mascara at all. Your eyelashes will become clumpy and not spread out properly.
After knowing what happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions, it is definitely okay to put on mascara after you’ve done a lash extension. Sometimes, an extension is not enough to get the desired effect. However, I strongly encourage you to do research before you decide to do it.
Wrong mascara may negatively impact your extension effect, or worse, damage them along with your actual eyelashes. Use water-based mascara and follow my technique above to get the best experience!